Frequently Asked Questions

I am a registered dietitian. Do I need a license to practice in Alabama?

Yes. Only a person licensed or otherwise authorized to practice under this act shall practice dietetics/nutrition or provide nutrition care services or use the title dietitian/nutritionist or the letters L.D., L.N. of any facsimile thereof, except as allowed by Chapter 34, Title 34, Code of Alabama 1975.

I hold a current license to practice dietetics in another state. Can I become licensed in Alabama?

Yes. You can become licensed in Alabama. You cannot use your out-of-state license to practice in Alabama. You must hold a valid licensed issued by the Alabama Board of Examiners for Dietetic/Nutrition Practice in order to practice dietetics/nutrition in Alabama.

What are the requirements for licensure?

  1. You must be at least 19 years of age or older.
  2. Submit evidence of good moral character and respectability.
  3. File a written application on a form provided by the board.
  4. You must hold a “baccalaureate or higher degree from a college university accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges or other regional accreditation agency with a major course of study in dietetics, human nutrition, foods and nutrition or food system’s management.
  5. Or in lieu of subdivision 4 of Section 7, have received a master’s or doctorate degree in human nutrition, nutrition education, foods and nutrition as defined by the Board or a related field from a college or university accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges or other regional accrediting agency.
  6. You must have satisfactorily completed a planned, continuous pre-professional experience component in dietetics/nutrition practices of not less than 900 hours under the supervision of a registered dietitian or a practitioner licensed under the conditions of the law.
  7. Pass an examination propounded under auspices of the Commission on Dietetic Registration. (
  8. Applicants who provide evidence of current registration as a Registered Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration shall be considered to have met the requirements of subdivision (4) or (5), and (6) and (7) of this section.
  9. Pay fees prescribed by the board.

What is a licensing biennium?

A licensing biennium is a twenty-four month period that runs from October 1 to September 30 of every odd number year. An individual’s first license may expire before twenty-four months, depending on when the license was actually issued. All regular licenses in this profession run on the same cycle and all licenses currently will expire on September 30 of each odd year.

When will my regular license expire and how many continuing education contact hours are required for renewal?

  1. All regular license expires on September 30 of each odd years. 30 continuing education hours are required during the licensure biennium October 1 to September 30 of every odd year.
  2. CEU’s for licensee’s that are licensed less than twenty-four month period will need 1 ¼ hours for every month they held a license for their first renewal.

What are the requirements for a temporary license? (A temporary license is for RD eligible applicants that are eligible to sit for the CDR Examination).

  1. A temporary license to practice as a dietitian/nutritionist may be issued by the Board upon the filing of an application and submission of evidence of successful completion of educational and professional experience requirements as specified in the “Dietetics/Nutrition Practice Act of 1989”
  2. A temporary license shall expire one year from the date of issuance and may be renewed for one additional year. Approval for renewal of a temporary license shall be based upon evidence that the applicant shall sit for examination for licensure.
  3. The fee for a temporary license shall not be more than 50 percent of current renewal fees. Application fees must be paid same a licensed dietitians/nutritionist.

How can I check if someone is licensed?

You may use our Licensee Search at The best results often occur when the system received the least amount of information.

How can I file a complaint against a licensee or someone practicing without a license?

You may print the Complaint Form from our website or call 334-242-4505 to request one by mail. Instructions are on the form. No anonymous complaints will be accepted.

How do I request a Verification of my Alabama License be sent to another state or jurisdiction?

You can simply send a written request to the Board with all your name, license information and address. Please provide the name and full mailing address of the intended recipient of the verification.

Email verification requests to Please include your name and license number as well as the recipient's name and address or email address. No payment is required.

How do I submit a name change or address change?

Please email your request to and include any supporting documentation necessary.